Nutrition: calories 211, fat 6.2 g, carbs 38 g, fiber 3.3 g, sugars 19 g, sodium 204.4 mg, protein 3.2 g, Weight Watchers points 6
For the cupcakes
1 cup Gold Medal all purpose flour
1 cup Bobs Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 cup avocado oil, or any vegetable oil or even olive oil would work
1/8 Earths Balance vegan margarine, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 4 ounce jar baby applesauce
1 Tbsp real maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, use a good quality
1/4 cup almond milk, soy milk will work as well
2 very ripe bananas
For the frosting
1 8 ounce container Tofutti better than cream cheese, softened to room temperatureDirections: Preheat oven to 325 degrees, have cupcake liners ready in the muffin pan and spray them lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
1/2 cup powdered sugar,sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp all natural maple extract, you can leave this out if you want
3 Tbsp real maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon plus another 1/2 tsp for topping
1 1/2 tsp maple sugar for topping, optional
For the cupcake batter
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oil, margarine and the sugar and mix well.
- Start adding all the rest of the ingredients one at a time and mix with a rubber spatula.
- When all is included, use a hand held mixer and mix until all ingredients are combined well. Make sure you dig deep down with the spatula to make sure all the dry mix is incorporated.
- With an ice cream scooper, fill the muffin cups with the batter. Makes 12 nice size cupcakes.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes and rotate the pan around after 10 minutes. Check to see if done after 15 minutes. A wooden skewer or toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then invert and let cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, place all your ingredients into a medium-mixing bowl. With clean mixing batters, mix with an electric mixer until all is combined. Place in fridge for about an hour while the cupcakes are cooling.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, dollop the frosting onto each cupcake and then sprinkle with a little cinnamon and maple sugar.
Makes 12 frosted cupcakes