Nutrition: calories 68.4, fat 3.5 g, carbs 5 g, fiber .9 g, sugars 8 g, sodium 49.6 mg, protein 1.4 g, Weight Watchers points 1
3 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp cold water
1/4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
2 cups low fat unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup good quality dark chocolate chips
pinch of salt
slivered almonds or any nut, optional
Have 8 mini dessert dishes ready to fill along with a large measuring cup or pitcher with a spout.
- In a small bowl, mix the cold water with the cornstarch; it works best with a small wire whisk. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cocoa powder and brown sugar with a wire whisk.
- Over a medium heat, slowly add the almond milk to the cocoa & sugar mixture, whisking all the while. Switch over to a heatproof rubber spatula and make sure you get all the dry ingredients in the corners of the pan incorporated well.
- Now add the cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until you reach a small boil. Lower the heat and let boil for about 30 seconds to 1 minute the most. Take off the heat, add the vanilla and stir. Now add in the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Switch back over to the whisk to make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the pitcher or measuring cup and pour into 8 small dessert dishes.
- The mixture will thicken even more as it cools. You can eat this warm or place plastic wrap over surface and chill in fridge for 2 hours.
- Serve with chopped almonds or nuts of your choice or with a sprinkling of cocoa powder for a nice presentation. Enjoy this very rich treat!
Makes 8 mini chocolate mousse dishes